We know life gets busy so we've kept this concise and simple for you.
1. ROTATE YOUR MATTRESS: Help your spine out and prolong your mattress by rotating or flipping it at least once a year. Your body and wallet will thank you for it.
2. DEEP CLEAN YOUR GARBAGE DISPOSAL: This should take less than 10 minutes. Cleaning your garbage disposal is something we often overlook but it's an important task for home maintenance.
Bob Vila takes you step by step on how to properly and easily clean your garbage disposal.
3. TOUCH UP INTERIOR WALLS AND DOORS: Keep your home in tip-top shape and remove those scuff marks and touch up the paint.
4. HAVE HVAC UNIT SERVICED: Your HVAC unit should be serviced at least once a year. Not only does regular maintenance help in reduced utility bills but it can extend the life of your HVAC system.
TIP: Watch for local special deals and coupons for this service. It's very common for companies to offer coupons for servicing HVAC systems.
5. CLEAN REFRIGERATOR COILS: Extend the life of your refrigerator and increase its efficiency by periodically cleaning its condenser coils. Follow these steps and you should have it done in less than 15 minutes.
6. CHECK CAULKING AND GROUT AROUND SINKS, SHOWERS AND TUBS: Water seeps through unseen areas. Help mitigate water damage and potential mold issues by checking caulk and grout around your sink, tub and shower. Caulk and repair where needed.
7. SET UP WATER LEAK DETECTORS: Water heaters, washing machines, basements all have the potential to cause havoc from a major water leak. Other areas of your home have the potential to leak too. Invest in water leak detectors. There are several types on the market and some you can be alerted on your phone.
8. TEST YOUR HOME FOR RADON: You can't see or smell radon. But, it's a dangerous gas and breathing in high levels of this gas can increase your risk for lung cancer. 1 out of every 15 homes have high radon levels. It's pretty inexpensive to buy a radon test.
9. CLEAN YOUR FURNITURE: Winter months often mean spending more time indoors. Take some time and get your furniture in tip top shape and fresh.YOu can get it professionally cleaned or If you prefer to clean them yourself take a look at cleaning tips here for leather furniture. For fabric furniture cleaning tips head on over here.