Fall is here! That means its time to start prepping for winter.
1. Replace Air filters: You will be spending more time indoors so this is the perfect time to change them.
Replace your furnace air filter. Clean your furnace/ac unit, air ducts, and replace any other air filters throughout your home. There are many HVAC companies that'll come to your home for a nominal fee and clean and service your heating and ac unit. Changing filters is an easy one. You can order them right now so you don't forget.
2. Clean gutters, downspouts, and clear blockages. This is a leading cause of water damage to a home. The water gets blocked and causes damage to the exterior landscape, building and flooding can occur as a result of the blockage.
Any type of activity on the roof can pose danger. If you aren't confident doing this yourself... Consider calling in a pro.
3.October is fire safety month. Now is a good time to have a fire safety and evacuation conversation with your family.
Check to make sure your fire extinguishers work. If you don't have one now is a good time to get one or a few.
Google some videos on how to use fire extinguishers or better yet contact your local fire department and ask about community events and training on proper fire extinguisher usage.
Consider having a Fire Safety Kit (with a ladder) in your home. There are different types out there. Do some research and see which ones will fit your situation.
4.Clean out dryer lint: Dryer fires account for 2,900 annual fires. Try and get in the habit of cleaning this every time you wash. Failure to remove lint from the dryer is the leading cause of dryer fires
5. Clean your fireplace: Make sure it’s clean with no debris inside. Birds love to nest in it so make sure it’s clear. Consider having a chimney sweep come in. Protect you and your family from a fire and possible carbon monoxide poisoning.
6. Put away the hose inside and winterize your sprinkler system: Get your outdoor water system winterized before freezing temperatures arrive and cause damage.
7. Seal your outdoor surface areas: Those small gaps and cracks on your home's exterior can impact both your heating bill and cause water damage. Take some time and seal your outdoor surface areas.
8. Clean and protect your outdoor furniture: Wash and protect your outdoor furniture and appliances. The elements can cause further damage.
9. Aerate and fertilize your lawn: Lawn fall preparation is key to a healthy upcoming spring and summer lawn.
Check out THIS VIDEO for more tips